Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez beat Sergey Kovalev for the WBO light-heavyweight title last November and is now set to return to the ring next month.
The Mexican superstar became a four-weight world champ with his victory over the Russian in Las Vegas.
He produced a stunning knockout in the 11th round to claim the 53rd win of his incredible career.
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez next fight: When is Mexican star in action again?
He said after the fight: “A week ago we arrived at the ring with hopes of becoming a four time world champion; today that’s a reality. Thanks to everyone who helped me make it possible.”
Now Canelo is set to return on September 12 and looking for his next opponent.
It seems there’s no shortage of options despite his fearsome reputation but unfortunately the ongoing issues of the coronavirus pandemic has meant finding the right fight is proving difficult.
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez next fight: When is he returning and who is he facing?
No official word of Canelo’s next fight has been made yet but he is expected to get back in the ring on September 12.
Sergiy Derevyanchenko is currently seen as the main option while David Lemieux and Fedor Chudinov are also options.
But the champ could be set for another clash with a British fighter with Callum Smith and John Ryder in the running too.
Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez said: “There is a very good chance. There are a couple of guys we are looking at as a possibility.
Conor McGregor calls out Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez whilst wearing $90k Rolex
“It is more difficult now because of the restrictions. The borders are not all open so it isn’t easy to bring some fighters to the US.
“It all depends on the negotiations. We are not living in the world that we lived in last year. Canelo will be taking a significant pay cut.
“It depends on the negotiations. Anybody willing to come to the table and be reasonable, he will fight. We are not discarding any of the top guys.
“If you look at Canelo’s career, he has always wanted to fight the best and it’s no different here, he still wants to fight the best.
“But some really good fighters are available to fight Canelo in September and that’s what we are working on now.
“We’re talking to him and presenting different ideas for him to be able to fight in September.
“The big concern that he has is the protocols. If he fights in September, there will be no fans. We are in communication with him and soon he will make a decision – does he want to fight without fans or wait until there is some sort of normalcy again?
Canelo’s next fight is up in the air
“Canelo is a young man in his prime years and he wants to take advantage of the fact that he can still fight at a high level. To take a year off would be very damaging in his prime. That is the motivation.
“He wants to keep proving that he is the best fighter in the world.”
Boxing fans would love to see a trilogy fight with great rival Gennady Golovkin booked in the near future.
Asked about such a fight earlier this year, Canelo said: “I mentioned it before, it’s really not a challenge for me.
“I won 24 rounds, it’s really not a challenge for me. But if it’s good business, then why not?”